Monday 17 December 2007

FrontPage Madness

Story so far: New web site provided by my son (who develops commercial web sites with a major UK ISP). So no problem there!

Actually, yes. I used Word to compose my content. It's Microsoft, so natually it uses Microsoft font. However:
the new " server is in iso-8859-1 so your site is telling the browser one thing and the server something else, which is where the question marks are coming from"

There are 65 .html files to change and if I edit any of them with Word, the settings are changed back.

OK, so try to convert to FrontPage 2003 and use that to sort the problem; it can't be that difficult to learn! Actually, Yes. When I run it I can't import the existing site either from a disk copy or from the live site. Most HTML insists on still being default edit in Word (see Windows Explorer screen shot above), even though I asked for FrontPage to be my HTML editor on installation. Manually setting .HTML and .HTM file types to edit in Front Page has resulted in a mixture. Open a file within FrontPage and it opens it in Word. Not really getting anywhere here.

Now FrontPage won't even allow me to create a new web site, either on disk or at the remote site - it always says the folder in inaccessible.

Oh, and every time I start FrontPage I get the message "Can't load Speech Recognition Files" - What!

No comments: