Monday 31 December 2007

Global Economy - Personal Choice


I ordered two tickets for the ballet from londonwestendtheatretickets.com. Seven days later, they arrived - from Oslo. Curious?

So what is happening here? londonwestendtheatretickets.com has clearly chosen to contract its ticket distribution process, and the best bid was from a company in Norway (!?). The tickets were sent by airmail. The risk of them arriving late was compounded by their long journey - they warned me to leave 7 days before they might arrive and they were not wrong. Obviously, their carbon footprint must have been a little larger than being printed and posted from London, but for something so light, is that important? However, unless londonwestendtheatretickets.com is run by idiots, it must make commercial sense to use this contractor.

Of course today we should all been concerned about carbon footprint. For example, shipping tomatoes and other produce from Israel to the UK, by air freight is often quoted. In this case, however, it may make sense, commercially and environmentally. The cost (and environmental impact) of heating a greenhouse in England to grow the same product is actually higher than the airfreight footprint (the necessary sunlight in Israel is free). However, the irrigation needed to grow organic carrots in Israel for consumption in the UK could be destroying the environment.

Perhaps this highlights the need for sensible restrictions of air freight. It is reminiscent of the use of containers, which in recent decades have allowed a free economy between road and rail. Who won? Well, left to commercial pressures, always the lowest cost options – very often road, although the use of rail has actually increase in the UK in recent years. So is this where government tariffs come in? Just make it the lowest cost to use the most environmentally friendly option.

Come to that, a ticket is not something that should need to be sent through the post, anyway. When you check in to an airline, all you need is your passport and a reference number (often, only your passport). Why can’t I check in to the theatre in the same way? Well of course I can, but using a credit card. However, my expectation is that this will be arduous and stressful. I have to use the machine in the theatre to get the tickets printed – I’ll probably be arriving at the last minute. Will there be enough machines. If I can’t get the machine to work, say I can’t work out which card I used, what will I do? Will there be adequate support? Will the box office even be open? So I opt for making sure that I have the physical tickets in my hot paw. I truly didn’t expect that I would be using airfreight in this process, though. It is my choice - maybe next time I will make sure I use the environmentally friendly option.

No comments: